77% of Shoppers Abandon Baskets: 3 Easy Tips for Online Retailers
A new survey has revealed that 77% of online shoppers are abandoning their baskets at checkout – but why, and what can you do about it?
According to findings by eDigitalResearch and IMRG, basket abandonment is a big issue:
77% of online shoppers are dumping their baskets at checkout.
53% of shoppers are put off by delivery charges only being revealed at the payment stage.
Maximise your ecommerce operations by . . .
1. Being upfront
Make your delivery charges (and speed of delivery) clear and immediate – not a ‘hidden extra’ – to avoid basket abandonment:
54% of online shoppers want such information presented to them as soon as they land on your homepage.
2. Removing delivery worries altogether
By 2018, click-and-collect will grow by £4 billion
Companies that use click-and-collect include . . .
Argos generates 42% of its online sales via click-and-collect.
Two-thirds of Tesco’s non-food online orders are collected at its 1500 collection points.
But that’s nothing compared to . . .
Halfords, which generates a huge 86% of all its sales via click-and-collect.
80% of UK consumers have reserved a product online for in-store collection, while 20% do this at least once a month.
Make sure you’re not missing out.
3. Maximising your mobile strategy
45% of respondents to an SDL survey stated that they would use mobile devices to research Xmas 2013 purchases . . .
but 48% of mobile users revealed that they feel frustrated and annoyed if the site they visit is non-mobile-friendly.
Do make sure . . .
- Your online store is responsive and scalable so it works on all screen sizes and devices – from desktop computers and smartphones to tablets.
- Product pages include stock information to avoid the frustration of selecting an item that isn’t available.
- You can filter products by price, type, style, size & colour so customers can more easily find the product they’re looking for.
- Your calls-to-action aren’t too small for the average thumb!
– Be upfront with customers about your delivery charges to avoid basket abandonment.
– Deploy click-and collect options.
– Exploit the popularity of m-commerce by creating responsive websites.